I woke up this morning and wanted to make something we had at Violet’s 1st Birthday/Welcome Home party almost 12 years ago…these adorable and delicious Egg Salad Tea Sandwiches! While you can enjoy these any time of day, they would traditionally be served at Afternoon Tea (not High Tea).
- 4 tsp mayonnaise (I use Hellman’s)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (I use Grey Poupon)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 3 slices cooked bacon, finely chopped
- 6 slices white bread
- Strong tea*
Green Tea: Genmaicha
Oolong Tea: Oriental Beauty
Black Tea: English or Irish Breakfast
Preparation (Makes 6 sandwiches)
- Mix mayo and Dijon in a small bowl..
- Add the egg to the bowl and mix well.
- Using a 2” round cookie or biscuit cutter, cut two circles out of each slice of bread.
(I make croutons or bread crumbs from the leftover bread.)
- Divide the egg salad evenly among 6 bread circles. Top with remaining 6 bread circles.
- If you care about a smooth edge: Holding the sandwich in one hand, use the length of a finger on the other hand to gently pack the edges into the sandwich.
- Gently roll edges of sandwiches in bacon bits.